Tuesday

May 23: Success at Last with African Violets (in More than One Way, Perhaps)

African violets have become one of the world’s most favourite house plants, and now I’ve finally succeeded in getting them to bloom.

Most of my adult life I’ve had house plants, but I’ve not had much luck in making African violets bloom more than once. That’s why I felt particularly pleased this January when some combination of natural fertilizer and winter sunlight produced buds on the three plants I’d been cosseting for more than a year. I noticed them just about the time that the very final corrections were being made to Violets.

As the days lengthened perceptibly I watched to see how the plants did in the stronger sunlight. By late February, I had to transfer them to a north window since the spring sun was beginning to burn lighter patches in the leaves. But by the time the book was off the presses all three plants were in gorgeous bloom. It seemed singularly appropriate, and I’m pleased to say that they’re still blooming profusely.

We had book launch parties for The Violets of Usambara in Montreal March 25 and April 2—lots of fun, many good friends dropping by to say hello, some books sold too. But one of the nicest things came two weeks later when a lovely arrangement of African violets showed up on our doorstep. When I tore open the envelope, I found a card saying a writer friend and his partner had sent them. “It was so good to read a Canadian book that wasn’t set on The Farm,” he joked when I called to thank them.

Yes indeed. The Violets of Usambara takes place a long way from a Canadian farm, but I’d like to think that despite the fact that part of it takes place in such an exotic location the novel speaks to all sorts of people.

Photo: Finally I get an African violet to bloom at hom
e.

No comments: